Saturday, May 18, 2013

PLANTING DAY AND OTHER ODDS 'N ENDS


  

 We planted our garden today, in wine barrel wanna-be containers.  There are 9 in all and each kid has his or her own and a few to spare.  We planted, radishes, carrots, nasturtiums, marigolds, watermelon, pumpkin, tomatos, potatoes, and petunia.  The kids planted his or her own container and we had way too much fun.  They were good students and all I had to do is supervise and lend a hand once in a while.  They were and easy group.


Garden signs being made tomorrow!





A few weeks ago we were threatened by a fast moving brush fire.  Just about a mile and half from the house is where I took the first picture.  The fire was fanned by the Santana Winds gusting to 60+ mph.  We actually were alerted to evacuate if the call came. But the winds kept the fire moving west and north.  I took the picture of the speed limit sign just as a policeman pulled up behind me to remove it.  I thought I'd just send the picture to the city and tell them where it was.  I think this is the same sign post that fell over and bonked Austin on the head a couple of years ago.  He's ok -- has a hard head.


Mothers Day was delightful though I did miss the girls' afternoon out with my daughters. Ame and her girls and I lunched late at Chili's. Then we got our toes "tickled".  I'm told that Clint and Joseph presented their wives with a massage and hot tub soak.  Nice.

Chris took his boys out shooting and then shopping.  Sunday morning Ame and I were treated to a delicious breakfast of bacon and eggs.  Very tasty.  Thanks kids.


It was career day Friday at school.  As we were leaving school at the end of the day CHIPPER the California Highway Patrol mascot was just leaving at the same time.  He was gracious to take a picture with Jonathan.  Ame went to a couple of the classrooms to talk to the students about her experience at college and what she will be doing as a nurse.

Thursday the second graders had a "Pastries with Parents" day where they served their parents yummy sweet treats and interviewed them.  Austin told me that one of the questions he asked his dad was "What makes you laugh?" followed by "What makes you cry?" the answer to both questions was, "My kids."

The school year is winding down. Only about 10 days left.  I am working on a memory quilt for granddaughter Maddy who is graduating from High School and off to attend BYU Idaho in Rexburg, Idaho in January 2014.  After her graduation the Payan kids and I are off to the Ranch.  Oh, The Ranch.  I haven't shared the ranch yet.  Soon, I promise.

Two more kids books for review.

Saving Zasha by Randi Barrow is a sweet story filled with mystery and intrigue and the moral struggles of brothers growing up in post World War Two Russia.  It is historically accurate, though I haven't done any fact checking of my own.  I do trust Scholastic Books to check facts when they make the claim.  I didn't know that in whole regions of Germany and Russia dogs were shot in the street just because they belonged to the enemy.  Nor did I know they were cruelly used to blow up tanks.  If your youngster is a dog lover and loves his or her family this story will provide a glimpse into how loyalty to family and kindness to strangers can result in miracles. I think youngsters ages 9 -11 would enjoy the adventure. Google Saving Zasha to find out more.


Captain Nobody is a ten year old with big problems. The biggest is that he is invisible to everyone in town except his two best friends and his teacher at school.  But on the night of the big game against rival high school Merrimac things start changing big time.  Captain Nobody wants to do the right thing and it seems that a series of choices boosts his confidence as he faces ever troubling challenges.  I really like Captain Nobody.  I liked him when he was Newton Newman.  I think my kindergartener would like to hear this story if he would sit still long enough to let me read it to him. You can learn more about the Captain at www.captainnobody.com where you will also meet Captain Nobody's creator, Dean Pitchford.

My next children / young adult book is Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo by Obert Skye.



No comments:

Post a Comment